Friday, August 20, 2010

Does anyone have 2 computers running off of 1 DSL connection?

I'm about to buy a 2nd computer and I want to know if I will need to buy a 2nd DSL modem and pay double the bill each month. Do you think I can use those phone cord splitters and run both computers off of 1 modem?



Does anyone have 2 computers running off of 1 DSL connection?panda



Your best bet is to go wireless. Buy a computer with a WIFI card and buy a wireless router for about $100.00. That's how mine is setup and I like it alot especially for my laptops.



Does anyone have 2 computers running off of 1 DSL connection?suzuki



I am using two on this one DSL modem. Just buy a cable/DSL Router, I use a Linksys, which has 4 connections for computers or printers and an outlet connection for the modem.



Ron
You do NOT need to pay for 2nd connection. But you do need a router (a device that allows you to connect multiple computers). Connect the router to your DSL modem. Connect the pc's with CAT 5 cabe (network cable) to your pcs. These routers costs about 20/30 dollars or so. Even cheaper if you can get them on sale or with rebates. They have 4 to 8 ports, depending on the model. And you guessed it, you can connect that many computers from one DSL. (you can connect up to 256 computers with daisy-chaning these routers but that is for computer professionals!)

No comments:

Post a Comment